Saturday, February 23, 2008

Cairns


I have been in Cairns for a few days now...I am loving the white sand beaches and rain forest. I have two Australian roommates-- 1 from Brisbane and 1 from New South Wales, so it's been interesting comparing our 2 countries. I'm adjusting to the accommodations at JCU...probably the hardest of which is having limited Internet access. Once orientation week is over next week I will be able to post blogs regularly. I have also added a few of my pictures to my photo site and the link to my albums can be found at the bottom of this entry.
I've had an awesome time so far here. Today, the coordinator for the Arcadia students in Queensland came up for the weekend and drove the 4 of us up to Port Douglas. There were phenomenal views there of the ocean and white sand beaches. After spending some time downtown we went to the Kuranda village on the mountain. There is a really interesting market up there as well as a bunch of nature parks. We went into the Koala Gardens where I got to hold a 2-year old koala named Princess and I also got to feed some wallabies. We also went to see Barron Falls, which is a big waterfall off of a cliff. To get to the lookout point by the falls you have to walk among the rainforest canopy on the boardwalk. The rainforest around Cairns is really treasured among the locals and they are honored to have the rainforest and the Great Barrier reef right near them. Can't believe that I'm going to be living here for the next 5 months! I promise that I will start blogging soon....probably after next Saturday because I am going to spend the day on the Great Barrier reef.
I also have some new contact information that can be found below:

Email: carrie.bizzarro@jcu.edu.au
Cell: 04 5045 3842

link to my photo page: http://cbizzarro.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

No comments: